Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Post #33 - Backsplash, counter top, bunk bed

To catch up:

I had to get the window trim done for the front window and installed, because the upper bunk actually butts right up to it ( Put the window a little higher than it should have been). Got that done and the 3 boards I used for the upper bunk hinged together with 72" piano hinges. If I haven't mentioned it earlier I shellaced all four boards used for the bunk, (both sides), with 3 coats of Amber shellac and two coats of clear.  I also rounded over both edges of the board I used as the front of the bed to hold cushions in place and installed it. I wanted it more as a shelf rather than a bed, but it will pull out to 39" when necessary.  When folded it is about 16" wide.   Looks really nice.

Bunk bed - looking up from outside from front window opening


Got the bunk done and moved on to prepping for the backsplash.  I decided to make the backsplash around 9" above the counter top and added 1/16"  edge trim and 1/2" cove molding around the edges to make it look nice.  First I had to make templates with cardboard in order to get he angle right along the back. Plus I had to get the outlet located right before I cut out the expensive laminate.

Once I taped off the area I wanted the back splash to attach to, I sanded with 150 grit sandpaper to roughen it up a bit so the laminate would have something to stick to.  Afterwards I got the templates made and the laminate cut out, so my husband could make the 45 degree angle cuts on the corners of the 1/16" edge trim.  I then glued the trim to the edges of the laminate pieces & let them dry. Once it was firmly attached to the laminate I used Gorilla Glue construction adhesive and attached the trimmed laminate  to the walls.



I had the counter top cut out and laminate already glued on & ready to install once the backsplash was put on.


Here's the counter with the Red Range placed in its spot. 


Plus I put in my faucet and soap dispenser...



 While waiting for the glue to dry Thursday morning, I glued the laminate to the two tables I planed for the trailer.  Both will be removable - one will be a swivel table and one will be affixed at the front when I want to use, it or outside when I don't. 

Here is the swivel table top done and installed on its leg. I think it is going to come in really handy as I can raise it and lower it too.


Sunday and Monday this week I spent putting some more curbing over the edges in the front and street side back edge.  All I need to do now is from the top of the windows and over the top on both sides, Then I can finish insulating, put house wrap on, and order the new metal skin.




No comments:

Post a Comment