Monday, April 16, 2018

Post #8 - More Chassis work

Update on the Chassis work we've been doing this past week.  Joe created hangers for the black pipe I'm using for the Propane lines alongside the trailer, and welded them to the curb side of the chassis. Joe got the safety chains and new spring mounts welded on to the frame and the springs attached to the axle.  I wired the new brakes, and I'm waiting for the junction box I ordered to arrive to finish that part of the wiring process.  I also purchased a breakaway switch from e-trailer and will get that attached too after it arrives. We finally found the number on the bearings and race/cup so we've gotten those ordered too.
We got the area on the tongue for the battery, and propane tanks prepped & they have been installed and painted.  Then I primed, painted and mounted the step, plus primed & painted the  chassis too, so it's ready to go.  Once we get the new bearings, breakaway switch and junction box in next week and installed, I can go back to prepping the framework for the floor and side walls, etc.  Here are a few photos.





Thursday, April 5, 2018

Poat #7 Frames - metal & wood.

So the past week has been spent putzing with the chassis frame, planning on how to rebuild the subfloor(belly pan) and under floor framework, & repairing the street side framework. We've been waiting for new brakes, springs and other parts to arrive from Amazon and Etrailer before we tackle any more welding projects (Pick them up tomorrow).  I've included a few photos of the aluminum belly pan - one showing the birth date of the trailer, and the other showing a huge rip.

For the subfloor/belly pan we decided to use 1/2" plywood and to add 3" to the width for added stability and waterproofing. . That way the framework for the side walls will rest upon it when they get attached to the floor framework. The floor framework is all cut out to the same dimensions as the original plus a few extra supports every two feet. I numbered them in sequence and set them aside for later, as I'm not quite ready to assemble it.  It is too cold and damp to paint the metal frame, or use undercoating on anything right now.

I used the subfloor to lay out the street side framework (skin side out) to start repairing  and replacing the rotten edges and split parts of the frame. Plus I took the opportunity to add supports. I reconfigured the electrical inlet area, and under the bathroom window where I plan on putting a tiny sink. I also added some extra support over the large window in the front because I may be adding a bunk bed or shelf support to that area.  I managed to get two curbing strips glued together, bent and attached to the front but, it's really too cold here to glue stuff together yet, so the rest of the curbing strips will have to wait until it hits 55 degrees.  I still have lots of work to do on the other side too, which needs to be sanded, the old paneling remnants taken off, and remove more pin nails & staples.

The top photo shows what Joe did today - which is to say he removed the old breaks, springs and axle so we could be ready when the new ones arrive tomorrow.

One step forward at a time...and occasionally a few steps back .