Thursday, January 10, 2019

Post #23 & 24 Cabinet, closet, & bathroom doors

Post #23 ~ December 18th - We removed the old facing from the two doors and I sanded them down nice and smooth. I also added some interior supports to the top and down the middle for some structural support.  Today (Wednesday Dec 19th) I glued and stapled (with 3/4" x 15/16" staples) the extra supports into the closet door and put the new facing on.  As you can see I used almost every clamp we have, plus weighted it down where the extra supports were added with bricks.



Post# 24 ~ After being forced to take two weeks or so off from the project because of a very bad cold over Christmas, I'm back at it.

I did the same thing to the bathroom door that I did to the closet door, and when done with both doors, flush cut the edges, then rounded the edges over with a 1/8" roundover bit.  I then put on two more coats of Amber shellac, and two coats of clear.

I used Larry's method of shellacing from cannedhamtrailers.com to lay down the first layers of shellac on the 4' X 8' sheets of Birch plywood.

Then after I got everything cut out and applied to the cabinet, bathroom & closet doors, and drawers I decided to do some refined finishing techniques because of a bit of streakiness I didn't like.

After watching some youtube videos on french polishing I decided to try the new method on these items.  I really like the results as I got a smoother more mirror like finish.  Here is a link to one of the videos I watched.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxRIPkzgUTM.

Method I used: I took an old wool sock (or half a sock) and placed it in the middle of a double layered cotton cloth (I used part of a flour sack towel), & tied it off to make a pad. After sanding with 240 grit sandpaper & removing any dust, I then dipped the pad into a small amount of shellac, dripped a few drops of denatured alcohol on top, plus a drop of mineral oil for lubrication.  I rubbed the pad over the door face following the grain of the wood until it was coated with the shellac. To keep the pads from drying out, I kept them in a jar with an airtight lid.  I let the shellac dry for an hour, then rubbed 0000 steel wool over it, wiped any dust off it, then applied another coat. If I needed more layers I repeated the process.

When I liked the way it looked I applied a coat of paste wax on it to help protect it, and buffed it to a shine.

I think they came out very nice.  I think am going to do this to the walls and cabinets too, because it just looks really nice.

I do have to redo one of the cabinet door fronts, because when I flush cut around the edges the birch paneling delaminated really bad.  Luckily I had a spare piece that would fit the door. So I've removed the old and have glued the new face on.  Hopefully this piece won't have the same issue.

Largest cabinet door. 

6 of 8 cabinet doors.

Bathroom door.

Closet door.

Two upper cabinets I had to recreate, because the previous owners removed them. 
French Polish supplies. Shellac, denatured alcohol, mineral oil, 0000 steel wool, and the application pads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment