Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Post #21 - Cabinets, Drawers, & bed frames.

Since the last post I've slowly been painting the interior of the smaller cabinets, backs and edges of the doors, plus I've painted the interior of the three drawers that were still intact (because they were somewhat nasty).  I'm painting the bed toppers, and legs too.  I hope the color I chose grows on me, because I'm not too sure I love it.

I have found that waiting for paint and glue dry is boring.  Unless I get out to the workshop and put a coat of paint on before lunch, I have to wait until the next day to put the second coat on since it wants me to wait at least 4 hours between coats.  Glue is similar - have to wait to nail or screw until it has a chance to set up.  Tedious stuff...

I also realized I don't like stapling gimp (welting) across the upper edges of all the cabinets.  Larry says we need to do this to keep the squeaking down because of wood on wood contact, but it is boring to do too.  I did the upper kitchen cabinet, over the top edges of the side walls, and part of the closet.  I think I will have to buy more to finish the job. Probably another 200' - 300', because I still have to do the lower kitchen cabinet, upper bathroom cabinet, refrigerator cabinet, wall between the bathroom and kitchen (both sides), front shelf unit, two small upper cabinets, and around the potty box I'm going to build.

This past week I've also been working on the bed frames, and making the slats to extend the seating to make the beds wider.  When done they should be able to be pulled out to 39"- 40" - 24" seat with 15" backs.  I plan on splitting the backs at 40" so I can configure the bed frame to make one bed (across the front) , or two beds (one on each side.). Hope my idea works.

When these get done and painted - the next project is to face the doors, and drawers with Amber shellaced birch plywood to match the rest of the trailer.

I'll add photos when I get it done.

Plus it's December and I want to make a few Christmas gifts for friends, so I'll have to take a break for a day or two (or a week) pretty soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment