Friday, September 21, 2018

Post #16 - Shellac and cabinet frames

Finally able to get back to work on the trailer after a summer of camping and work.

I just finished putting 4 - 5 coats of Amber Shellac, and 1-2 coats of Clear on my 16 sheets of my birch plywood.  I sanded after 3 coats with 220 grit sandpaper, applied another coat and then sanded again with 320 grit.  I put two coats of clear on most of the sheets which I will sand again and apply another clear coat after installation. I ended up with 4-5 sheets that turned out lighter than the others so they will be used on cabinetry and in hidden spaces.

After I got to this point I started rebuilding the framework of the bench seats and upper cabinets.  I rebuilt the seat front framework because I wanted it stronger that it was, and on the upper cabinets I am reusing as much of the original wood as possible - just replacing the sections with rot or rusted out nails.


That's it for now... till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment